Under 12's Football Rules
At this age the children are almost playing full football rules but with smaller numbers which will give young players better opportunity to develop their skills.
- Play to commence with a throw up in centre.
- Goalkeeper may advance 10m for a kickout.
- Player can carry the ball for a max. of 4 movements (see definition).
- The ball must be lifted off the ground using the toe.
- ‘45’s’ are awarded. These will be taken from 40m out in line with where the ball went out of play.
- If a free is conceded via an aggressive foul within 13m from the goal a penalty is awarded taken 11m from goal.
- Technical free within the square is a penalty.
- A ‘square ball’ will be called by refs at this age.
- 1 point when the ball is played over the crossbar.
- 3 points when the ball is played under the crossbar.
- 50 minute game.
- 25 minutes per half.
Playing the Game
- 13 v 13 (max) 11 v11 (min).
- (90-100m) x (40-50m) or 20m line to 20m line.
- Teams must be streamed according to ability.
- At this age teams are divided into divisional sections.
Definition of four movements
When carrying the ball a player may use ONE of the following options:
- 1 bounce, 1 solo, 1 bounce, 1 solo.
- 1 solo, 1 bounce,1 solo, 1 bounce.
- 2 solos, 1 bounce, 1 solo.
- 3 solos, 1 bounce.
- 1 bounce, 2 solos, 1 bounce.
- 4 solos.
Any 4 movement variation but NOT 2 bounces consecutively.
- Portable Goal posts (15’ x 7’ or 4.5m x 2.2m).
- Numbered Jerseys must be worn.
- 3 Smart Touch (Size 3) footballs - one placed behind either goal and one in play.
Recommended Playing Area
Download Under 12's Football Rules. (U12's Football Rules [195kb]).