U9's Football Rules
To consolidate the basic technical skills developed at age 7/8 level (catching and kicking) in an environment where players are also encouraged to develop tactical awareness/prowess i.e. decide on the best option in terms of making use of and/or creating time and space.
- Play to commence with a throw up in centre.
- Goalkeeper may advance 10m for a kick out.
- After a score, the play recommences with a kickout from the goal keeper.
- The player can carry the ball for one hop and one solo.
- The ball must be lifted off the ground using the toe.
- ‘45’s’ are awarded. These will be taken from 32m out from where the ball crosses the line.
- No frees closer than 13m from the goals. (no Penalties)
- A player who is fouled to take the free out of the hands from where the foul occurred.
- 3 points when the ball is played over the crossbar.
- 1 point when the ball is played under the crossbar.
- Skill Point for Two Handed Block down.
- 40 minute games.
- 20 minutes per half.
Playing the Game
- 9 v 9
- (65-70m) X (40-45m).
- 1 goalkeeper, 3 defenders, 2 mid-fielders, 3 attackers.
- Teams must be streamed according to ability.
- 2 Zones.
- Players must remain in the zone to which they are assigned with the exception of midfielders.
- All players to rotate positions after each half.
- Well secured portable goal posts.
- U/9- (10’ x 6’ or 3m x 1.8m).
- Three Quick Touch (Size Footballs - one placed behind each goal and one in play).
Recommended Playing Area
Download Under 9's Football Rules. (U9's Football Rules [199kb]).
Notes on Streaming: read notes on streaming here.