Go Games U9's Hurling Rules
To consolidate the basic technical skills developed at age 7/8 level (grip, ground strike and stop) in an environment where players are also encouraged to strike from the hand and develop tactical awareness/prowess i.e. decide on the best option in terms of making use of and/or creating time and space.
- Play to commence with a throw in from the centre.
- Side-to-Side charge is permitted.
- Start the games with ground hurling. The second ten minutes in each half players may lift the ball into the hand. Hand passing is allowed at this time.
- Solo running with the sliotar on the hurley is not permitted.
- Goalkeeper to restart play after a score or wide with a puck-out.
- The goalkeeper is permitted to catch or lift the sliotar into the hand with the hurley and take 4 steps before striking it.
- Free pucks to be taken off the ground (1st 10mins) and from the hand (2nd 10mins) from where the foul occurred.
- Player who is fouled to take the free.
- ‘65’s’ are awarded. All are taken as a free puck (from the hand) 32m out from where the ball crossed the line.
- Goalkeeper to advance 10m for puck out after score or wide.
- Opposing players to be at least 10m away from the player taking free puck, sideline puck or puck out.
- Players are allowed ONE kick of the ball on the ground, but no score can be kicked.
- 3 point when the sliotar is played over the crossbar.
- 1 points when the sliotar is played under the crossbar.
- Skill Point for Overhead Catch (Ball must be struck from hurley for a minimum of 10m).
- 40 minute games.
- 20 minutes per half.
- 1 game per occasion.
Playing the Game
- 9 v 9.
- (65-70m) X (40-45m).
- 1 goalkeeper, 3 defenders, 2 midfielders, 3 attackers.
- All players to wear a helmet with full facial protection.
- Teams are to be streamed according to ability.
- 2 Zones.
- Players must remain in the zone to which they are assigned with the exception of midfielders.
- All players rotate positions after each half.
- Well-secured portable goal posts (10’ X 6’ or 3M X 1.8M).
- Three Quick Touch (Size 2) sliotars - one placed behind each goal and one in play.
Recommended Playing Area
Download Go Games U9's Hurling Rules. (Go Games U9's Hurling Rules [115kb]).