Go Games U9's Hurling Rules
To consolidate the basic technical skills developed at age 7/8 level (grip, ground strike and stop) in an environment where players are also encouraged to strike from the hand and develop tactical awareness/prowess i.e. decide on the best option in terms of making use of and/or creating time and space.
- Play to commence with a throw in from the centre.
- Side-to-Side charge is permitted.
- The games start with Ten minutes ground hurling. The next Fifteen minutes of each half players may lift the ball into the hand and commence air hurling. Hand passing is allowed at this time
- Solo running with the sliotar on the hurley is not permitted.
- Goalkeeper to restart play after a score or wide with a puck-out
- The goalkeeper is permitted to catch or lift the sliotar into the hand with the hurley and take 4 steps before striking it
- Free puck to be taken out of the hands were the free occurred.
- Player who is fouled to take the free
- ‘65’s’ are awarded. All are taken as a free puck (from the hand) 32m out from where the ball crossed the line.
- Goalkeeper to advance 10m for puck out after score or wide.
- Opposing players to be at least 10m away from the player taking free puck, sideline puck or puck out.
- Players are allowed ONE kick of the ball on the ground, but no score can be kicked
- First touch
- Jab lift
- Striking from the hand
- Overhead catching
- Coaches should encourage player to score points
- 50 minute games.
- 25 minutes per half.
- 1 game per occasion.
Playing the Game
- 7v7 (Minimum applicable from 2024 season) 9v9 (Max)
- (65-70m) X (40-45m)
- 1 goalkeeper, 3 defenders, 2 midfielders, 3 attackers
- All players to wear a helmet with full facial protection.
- All players rotate positions after each half
- Teams must be streamed according to ability
- Well-secured portable goal posts (10’ X 6’ or 3M X 1.8M).
- Three Quick Touch (Size 2) sliotars - one placed behind each goal and one in play.
Recommended Playing Area
Download Go Games U9's Hurling Rules. (Go Games U9's Hurling Rules [109kb]).