To develop the basic technical skills (grip, ground strike and stop) in a controlled competitive environment.
- Play to commence with a throw up in center.
- Throw in at centre after score.
- Goalkeepers to puck the ball out after a score.
- Puck out from hand after a wide. Goalkeeper allowed to come out 10m to do this.
- At puck outs, the player gets a second chance if he misses first time
- Ground hurling to be used for the first half of each game.
- Solo running with the sliotar on the hurley is not permitted.
- Air hurling to be allowed in the second half of each game.
- The goalkeeper is permitted to catch or lift the sliotar into the hand, take four steps and strike it from the hand but is not permitted to solo run with the sliotar on the hurley
- Free pucks to be taken off the ground (1st half and from the hand 2nd half from where the foul occurred.
- All frees to be taken from the ground directly opposite the goals.
- Player who is fouled to take the free.
- Players are permitted to kick the sliotar out of a ruck.
- When a team plays the ball over its own end line, opponents are awarded a free puck from the ground from the 20mt line directly opposite the goal. (A 65 ).
Coaches should highlight the following:
- Ground Striking
- Pick up.
- Striking from the hands
- Coaches to encourage player to score points.
- 25 minute games.
- 12.5 minutes per half.
- At least 2 games per occasion.
Playing the Game
- 5 v 5 (Minimum applicable from 2024 season) 7v7 (Max)
- 45m x 30m approx.
- 1 goalkeeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 attackers.
- All players to wear a helmet with full facial protection.
- Teams of mixed ability (no streaming.)
- All players to rotate positions after each half.
- Well secured portable goal posts (10'x6' or 3m x 1.8m)
- Quick Touch Sliotars